For the past 23 years April 15th has been, yes, Tax Day, but also my birthday.
My mom said 23 was her best year. I have no idea what standards she’s basing this on and frankly, I don’t wanna know what crazy antics my mom was up to before my time.
Best or worst, I’ve got a fresh age in front of me and these are my 23 thoughts on turning 23:
1. I’m definitely not an adult. Two days ago I accidently sent my credit through the washing machine and dryer. Adults just don’t do that shit.
2. I’m very much still a mess. In my life, behaviors and general everyday bs. For an example, see above.
3. People change and you grow apart, but I also believe you can grow back together. Give it time.
4. Sometimes you have to make your own sunshine. The world can be a miserable and unfair place, just decide to be happy even on the hard days.
5. This year I’m seeing parts of my future I never imagined. And that makes me the happiest girl in the world.
6. I’m also seeing dreams I thought I wanted die. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just not for me and because of this I have no idea where my career will take me or even what I want from it sometimes. House wife has been thrown around…kidding, sorta.
7. Love comes at you when you least expect it. Just go with it and thank your lucky stars.
8. Also, they’re right, when you find the one, it makes all the “not-the-ones” super obvious. Sorry not sorry, boys.
9. Family is the single most important thing in the world. Even if they get on your last nerve. Always make them a priority.
10. Which reminds me, let’s move out by next year? Pretty please.
11. Deep down, I still just want my parents to be proud of me, but it’s also important that I’m happy. I’m starting to realize that.
12. Puppies can brighten any mood. Remember that on the sucky days.
13. I’m a crazy person. And I’m pretty sure it’s not in a cute way.
14. 23 is a super confusing age. Half your friends are growing up and getting married and the other half are still doing keg stands. I’m somewhere in between.
15. I like weddings now. I never thought I’d be one of those girls. I blame a certain boy. Insert wide-eyed emoji.
16. Anger is my single regret growing up. It only tore me apart. It’s like that quote, you drink poison and expect the other person to die. This is really hard for someone who holds grudges, but don’t drink the poison anymore.
17. I wish I could protect my little sister from every pain. People suck. I don’t want those people to bring her down.
18. There are tons of people out there that have no clue what they’re doing with their life. That doesn’t make it okay for me to slack.
19. I’m genuinely happy for the people in my life. I think that’s a maturity thing. When you’re able to be genuinely, selflessly happy for people without judging or tearing them down.
20. Coming out of college and socializing with coworkers double your age is really hard, especially when most conversations in college were half drunk.
21. I can’t change myself. I can try to be better, but there are certain parts of my personality that are just there. Sorry for being crazy
sometimes all the time.
22. 22 was a year that really and truly changed me from beginning to end. And I’m really glad it did. I’m a better person because of it.
23. You can call me Jon Snow because I know absolutely nothing. That’s okay, I’ll figure shit out eventually.
23 advice? Bring it.